AUTUMN'S GOLD and BROWN

Musak Life
Managing Graceful Transitions
Aging
Kind of Sad
Anniversary
Walking Through Generations
Skiing with Grandchildren
Across the Gulf
Damaged Dragonfly
The Stern and Distant Father
My Mother's Jewelry Box
My Mother's Life in her Address Book
Testing my Mother's Pacemaker
The “Bad Man” Coming
The Last Words
After my Mother Died
Ash Wednesday
After Half a Century
At a Distant Cousin's Funeral
Dancing towards my Elder Self
Initiation
The Poet T’ao Ch’ien
You say the Butterflies have all gone
The Autumn of My Life
Opening and Closing Scenes
On the Death of the Poet Mary Oliver
The Abyss Ahead
Book Cover
Dedication
Author Bio

Musak Life    ↑↑↑

Everything was huge
when I was a child;
forced to clean the cat’s litter box
or sort rotten carrots in the cellar,
I was Cinderella
abused by a wicked stepmother.

Traveling with Grandma,
she let me
eat pie for breakfast.

Everything mattered so much
in my teens --
my hero worship
and longing.

Casting abroad,
my lost soul
climbed into tree branches over surf,
swam at night in phosphorescent seas,
drank champagne while watching sunsets
on Australia’s sacred mountain.

Returning, I did not become
a Nobel scientist,
Pulitzer author,
doctor saving lives
or war correspondent
but keep an agenda book
of weeks slipping by,
lists of tasks
and meetings,
voicing my mother’s words
“That worked out well”
as if life were a project to manage.

I fear I will slip
into an old age
of muted colors
and muzak,
no Gibson guitars,
trumpets,
clashing cymbals,
keeping myself from the delirium of rage,
the intensity of grief,
the giddiness of joy.

Managing Graceful Transitions    ↑↑↑

Graceful transitions
need not be managed,
just the ungraceful ones,
like aging,
when skin wrinkles,
minds and muscles weaken.

With age should come enrichment
not merely letting go
of perching on branches
in the cherry tree,
splashing through puddles
in the rain.

How to change --
from child and adolescent,
bypass the adult I never was,
avoid becoming hag or witch,
old woman, crone --
become a wise woman
resplendent in experience.


Aging    ↑↑↑

When something fails
within my knee,
how quickly legs,
that took me over trails,
collapse so full of pain,
force me to stop.

Someone takes my arm
as if I’m old,
not seeing
I’ve always been the strong one,
helping the elderly.

Is this a foretaste of aging
or the real thing?

Kind of Sad    ↑↑↑

Kind of sad to find my skin betray me,
softly folding into crepe;
I grow old from outside in
though inside raw
with still-unfinished
childhood.

I am still the stumbling toddler,
wanting to be wrapped
in my mother’s arms.

I am still the child
yearning to be an artist,
sidetracked into academics,
by Latin’s orderly grammar
and mathematics’ logic.

My skin no longer heals its bruises,
but wounds of adolescence
lie buried under scars,
life’s secret hidden in my bones.

Anniversary    ↑↑↑

In the November forest
I see leaves brown and rust,
like the colors I wear
in the November of my life.
  
Not an evergreen,
my branch will end,
childless,
when dead leaves fall
as fell my mother’s life
in November.

Walking Through Generations    ↑↑↑

Walking the grandkids’ dog
on streets of wealth,
I recall my mother's love of walks --
evening strolls to see what’s changed
in neighbors' homes and gardens.

Her mother-daughter talk with me
flowed with the gardens that we passed.

But these houses loom
larger than where she raised her kids;
new construction makes them larger yet,
sprouting wings of brick and shingle
that mimic yet distort old homes.

I struggle with my grandkids' move
to larger bodies, a larger house,
faster internet, smarter phones, 
and fast, low-volume teenage chatter,
giggling while I stand, smiling 
and confused, like my grandmother stood
amongst my raucous siblings long ago.

Skiing with Grandchildren    ↑↑↑

Skiing downhill with grandchildren
whom I used to protect, 
my hands ready to catch the boy 
climbing on the banister.

Now they ski into glades
and whip around evergreens;
I don't follow, 
fearing to fall or hit a tree.

Their giddy laughter
echoes ours of long ago,
when everything was cause for hilarity
among my siblings,
especially our invulnerability.

Across the Gulf    ↑↑↑

Every summer I take to camp
activities to entertain our grandchildren --
tie dye and t-shirts to batik,
wax and colors to make candles,
beads and wire for jewelry.
 
Becoming adolescent now,
the kids ignore my invitation
to jump on bubble wrap I brought.
 
I jump on it myself
and pop the bubbles.
 
“Having fun?”  the grandson asks
from across the gulf
where he has jumped from childhood.

Damaged Dragonfly    ↑↑↑

Sweeping the floor
before we leave the cottage,
I find a damaged dragonfly,
dead, I assume
until I touch it
and it waves feeble legs;
I carry it to the end of the pier,
drop it into the pond
to reincarnate as fish;

Some day my legs will crumple:
Who will carry me?
What will I become?

The Stern and Distant Father    ↑↑↑

Slumped on the floor beside his bed,
my father, fallen to the floor,
ankles too weak to hold him
let him down
to where we bend.
The nurse shows me
how to put my arm under his,
closer than dancing.
On count of three, we strain to lift
his aged body,
this tiny nurse from India
and I, once his infant daughter,
together spread his remaining self
half on, half off the bed,
free the sheets,
roll his body, 
tuck him in to sleep.

I recall he lifted me
under my arms
to throw me in the lake
and make me swim, 
that stern and distant father,
now grown old and sometimes softer
by near a century's living.

Reaching across the gulf,
I touch his arms again,
erasing our vintage strife
before he goes
where I must someday follow.

My Mother's Jewelry Box    ↑↑↑

My mother gives me halves of a coin
broken so long ago
each on a chain --
her father wore his through the war,
his bride-to-be kept hers at home
in England through the First World War;
they vowed to join their hearts to whole.

She adds a coin her toddler hand picked out
from campfire coals when she was two;
her father soldered it to make a brooch.

She adds the locket with a portrait,
a high-school boyfriend killed in war
whose name my brother bears.

She adds my father's Christopher,
the saint of travelers, like my dad
who sailed across the ocean,
brought her his saint
and knew his voyage done.

These treasures fit the hollow of my hand
yet dwarf the jewelry box I fill with bling.

My Mother's Life in her Address Book    ↑↑↑

Within worn leather binding,
old roommates' names writ large
in her flowing youthful script,
their addresses crossed out
and new ones written in
as friends got married,
moved away.

Her husband's family added --
in-laws, nieces, nephews,
then her own chicks fledging,
landing briefly,
flying on to adulthood.
 
Grandchildren’s addresses,
writ over those of long-gone friends,
in smaller, shaky script.
 

Testing my Mother's Pacemaker    ↑↑↑

Electrode-equipped large magnet –
a metal donut
to place on patient's heart
and connect to telephone --
the package avoids a trip to clinic;
it tests at home
an old and failing heart.

I take the magnet in my hand
and seek below her blouse
the round plateau beneath the skin,
my mother's monitor.

Her skin like paper, so fragile thin;
eyes dart with life I know will leave
though cannot know how soon.

We share a laugh, a memory;
I see her old, frailer than her mother
ever was to me.

I hold her bony body
and wrap my arms around
as she held me so long ago;
I see a future with her gone
but then our never knowing comes to mind
I could be gone before.

The “Bad Man” Coming    ↑↑↑

My mother is frail,
age saps her strength,
slows her step,
stiffens her muscles;
her anxiety escalates,
telling nurses not to leave the room:
a bad man will get them.

She sees his invisible presence --
he sucked out her flesh,
shriveled her breasts
from childbearing ripeness
to hardened nuts,
sucking out the life force --
the same bad man that took her mother
and will take me.

The Last Words    ↑↑↑

“She is much worse” they say
“no longer eats or drinks
or leaves her bed.”

Decades ago her cancer
convinced me I had fully fledged,
for she had launched me well,
her child,
and I’d withstand her death.

But now, with years of growing close
like sisters,
impending loss
swirls me with vertigo:
though other people's mothers die,
I cannot imagine life
without mine,
that I might never hear
her voice again.

I phone across the continent
to ask the phone be held to her,
so I can say the things I’ve held
and have no need of her response.

After my Mother Died    ↑↑↑

Towards the end, her body shrank,
mere shadow of her former self.

I feel her essence was refined
by suffering as the end drew near,
until she breathed her last
and when she left,
her spirit entered mine.

So, all the grief before she died
is lifted now.  I feel her eyes
look out from mine.

May her bright spirit open me,
not in denial of what I lost
but celebrating what she left in me.

Ash Wednesday    ↑↑↑

These ashes, living fronds
of palms reaching skyward,
cut down and burned at Pentecost,
now black and grey,
fit in the hollow
of our pastor’s palm.
 
On our foreheads,
her fingers form the dusty cross;
her voice forms words,
“Remember that you are dust
and to dust you will return.”
 
How can it be that I am dust,
my living flesh, my questing mind?
as my mother’s body now is ash
within the urn
that rests beside my father
waiting.

After Half a Century    ↑↑↑

I fly across the country,
drive across the city
to where my childhood home
stands starkly
and knock at next door neighbor's.

My friend's mother
now in her nineties,
her once dark hair now thin and pale,
lives within the dark wood panels
where we children played our forty-fives.

Each mother, if she didn't hear
the blasting from her basement,
knew where to find her child;
each said the next-door respite
from teenage music
saved her sanity.

People said her son
would marry me,
the girl next door.
she shows me photos of him now,
our separate lives
knotted with marriages and careers
not dreamt of then.

Our neighbor from half a century ago
still has dark eyes,
now deep with gratitude for my visit,
seeing my mother alive in me,

But when I leave
those eyes are pierced with pain -
we may not ever meet again.

At a Distant Cousin's Funeral    ↑↑↑

No one voiced their memories of her;
the funeral director read sad words
concerning God but with no spark
of how she loved her animals and birds.

He asked for memories - no one spoke;
brothers, sisters, cousins sat there dumb;
no one knew the one they'd come to honor
none spoke about her past, what she'd become…
of how she loved her creature friends, her pets,
grew up, left home, had lovers and a job
until called home to nurse an ailing mother
and stayed -- loyal choices but they rob
one's freedom to expand; she got trapped
inside that cluttered house, too much to eat;
her body fattened as her world contracted,
lack of memories underlining her defeat.

Dancing towards my Elder Self    ↑↑↑

I go down the waterslide,
do handstands in the pool,
climb up trees to sit on branches…
…and dance, wild with exuberance,
with the twenty-year-olds
(none conceived when I first danced).

Suddenly a pain stabs,
my collapsing hip betrays;
I limp from the dance
and from my own youth --
the choice: to give up dancing
or learn to savor slowness.

From the periphery,
I take in the whole circle,
spreading my arms to embrace
these wild, defiant selves,
and hold their high-speed,
vibrating lives
in my serene
elder gaze.

Initiation    ↑↑↑

A party to ski cross-country
under the full moon
began with friends,
dinner and conversation,
music for dancing.

Then night skiing on paths,
flares at the crossroads
to reach the pond and bonfire.

Stopping to watch the moon
glide through wind-blown clouds
and silhouette bare-branched trees,
I arrive at the pond
as everyone is leaving.

My skis, precarious on the descent
to the open expanse of ice,
accelerate towards the bonfire,
huge logs aflame
sending billows of smoke,
the fierce wind whipping
legions of sparks
into brief ribbons of incandescence
that fly skyward,
then vanish,
or collapse into ash
at my feet.

I need this terrible beauty of destruction,
bodies of trees charred in the inferno,
to see myself,
initiate and shaman,
released into fire
becoming ashes.

From this fiery vision,
I return,
see the lodge's light,
beacon to my solitary journey.

The Poet T’ao Ch’ien    ↑↑↑

Sixteen centuries ago
on the far side of the world,
a government official
withdraws from Chinese bureaucracy
to live as a farmer
in poverty and hardship.

He walks beside a stream,
discovers a grove
of blossoming trees
and the spring within,
source of the stream.

He writes of homing birds
returning from wandering,
a mountain
cleansed by lingering clouds,
pine and chrysanthemum
"that do not yield
at the first autumn frost."

The ancient pictographs of his poems
claim earth and heaven endure forever,
seasons have a circular rhythm,
sun and moon come back around,
but humans leave abruptly,
to return no more --
where I go, no sun will shine.

Once a minor bureaucrat,
now in my small boat
amid the water lilies,
a pair of loons sailing nearby,
laurel flowers lit by sun
against dark leaves,
huge roots of a tree toppled by years of erosion,
I find his poems afloat
in my mind,
and ponder the time
when I shall leave abruptly
to return no more
except in the lilies
that I become.

You say the Butterflies have all gone    ↑↑↑

This warm October evening,
I find orange and black glory
landing on the purple asters --
a monarch opening and closing
its glorious wings,
lifting off one flower
to land on another.

In the morning,
after the night’s hard frost,
the dahlias are frozen black;
fragile monarch,
rebel against the season,
flown,
yet fluttering forever
in my mind.

The Autumn of My Life    ↑↑↑

I grew so many shoots
in my springtime --
a budding artist,  
making pictures they admired
and a clown,
saying things to make them laugh.

Now, in autumn, late day sun
lights up the golden leaves
and briefly flames the red;
time moves quickly
like fall's swift passing;
leaves flutter down as does
my memory and my strength.

November, barren,
with leaves down,
lets me see further
through the forest.

Opening and Closing Scenes    ↑↑↑

A film might open with this scene --
a cloud of fog obscures the world,
the morning mist still hides the lake
till sunrise lights the distant shore
and trees emerge beyond the haze
that thins, revealing hills and lake;
the plot begins, as did my life.

But evening ghosts the water's edge,
makes trees begin to fade in fog;
sunset fades as darkness comes,
like consciousness might fade away
when eyelids close to end my life.

On the Death of the Poet Mary Oliver    ↑↑↑

Watching the grasshopper’s jaws
eat sugar
inspired her poem
The Summer’s Day.

Truly a spiritual agnostic,
she asked what each of us will do
with our “one wild and precious life."

Now she has gone
to what awaits us all,
her atoms mingling with the universe.

The Abyss Ahead    ↑↑↑

The forest and the path
grow dim with dusk;                                 
rain greys the sky
behind black silhouettes of branches.

Night holds sleep,
consciousness gone,
like end of life,
the dark chasm.

Or perhaps,
as those near death
see light and peace,
ahead there lies the bright abyss...

Book Cover    ↑↑↑




Autumn's Gold and Brown
Lorna Cheriton
Poems of Life's
Fall Season

Dedication    ↑↑↑

by the same author
Journey to a Far Land
Journey through Darkness
Journey around the Sun
Autumn's Gold and Brown
Poems of my Green Guitar


for Hamilton Topping


If a life can be a year, twelve months,
I am in October,
when leaves turn brown and wither,
hair loses color, turns to grey;

Strawberries are long gone
and peaches disappear,

But apples ripen,
maples blaze with flame,
the autumn sky is azure,
April’s angst long past.



© LORNA CHERITON 2020


Author Bio    ↑↑↑



Growing up in Edmonton, Alberta, Lorna Cheriton acquired a love of nature from camping and sailing with her family in western Canada.   A trip with her grandmother inspired later travels including across Canada, Europe, the Soviet Union, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Hawaii.  Further travels took her to Europe, Guatemala, India, China, Japan, Fiji, Australia and New Zealand.  After beginning to write poetry as a young adolescent, she found her urge to make poems rekindled by a college course in twentieth-century poetry.  Living in Bennington, Vermont, and a member of the Catamount Lane Poets, she was inspired, after participating in a retreat “Embracing Conscious Elderhood,” to write about aging and loss. 
Labels: ,
edit

No comments:

Post a Comment